HOME | PLASTIC SURGERY | BODY LIFT
Body Lift Phoenix AZ
Losing a significant amount of weight is often an extraordinary accomplishment and a key step towards achieving a healthier lifestyle and improved self-esteem. Yet for many people, excess skin and muscle laxity that happens after achieving this goal prevents them from realizing their ideal body shape. A body lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that removes excess skin and fat that remains after significant weight loss. Plastic surgeons work to get rid of localized fat, trim excess skin, as well as tighten lax muscles – usually focusing on the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. Many patients who receive this treatment enjoy a smoother, slimmed, and sculpted body contour that boosts their self-esteem and self-confidence.
Phoenix plastic surgeons Dr. Oren Tessler and Dr. Sergey Turin perform a body lift with the goal of improving body contours after significant weight loss. Dr. Oren Tessler and Dr. Sergey Turin has helped numerous men and women from Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Glendale, and surrounding AZ cities boost their self-confidence and physical appearance with many different types of body procedures such as a body lift. The surgeon understands that the needs of different individuals’ bodies are unique and works to create a highly customized treatment plan to suit the needs of each patient.
Phoenix Body Lift Candidates: Is It for Me?
A body lift is a plastic surgery procedure that aims to reshape the patient’s abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, and other parts of the body following significant weight loss. This treatment is an extremely delicate, aesthetic, and sculptural process that aims to achieve a beautiful and natural body contour. You may be a good candidate for a body lift if:
- You are in excellent physical and emotional health
- You have considerable soft tissue looseness in one or many areas of the body
- You have undergone bariatric weight loss surgery in the past and are left with enormous skin laxity
- You are committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
- You comprehend and understand the risks and rewards of this treatment
- Your weight is stable for at least six months
Our surgeons will reserve your first visit at their Phoenix office to understand your needs and goals. The surgeon will listen to your concerns, ask questions, and learn about your medical history before letting you know whether this treatment is for you. Body lift is a highly individualized procedure. For this reason, Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin emphasize that each patient ensures they are having this surgery out of their own volition, not because someone else asked this of them.
Benefits of a Body Lift
A body lift is an excellent procedure choice for patients who have lost weight quickly due to bariatric surgery or their own dieting and exercising efforts. This cosmetic treatment offers many unique benefits:
- Smoother body contour – when people start on their weight loss efforts, they have a very good image of the final result they want. This image does not include excess loose skin and folds that mar your overall profile. Body lift procedures focus on removing these skin folds and stubborn fat pockets in order to achieve a streamlined body contour that is in line with your goals. Many patients who receive this cosmetic treatment enjoy a more attractive overall physique that contributes to increased self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Eliminates skin irritations and infections – excess loose skin (and skin folds) often lead to skin irritations and infections. These can become quite painful and discomforting particularly when you are engaged in certain activities. You may even require multiple treatments to manage ongoing skin conditions. Body lifts eliminate excess skin in multiple problem areas, thus helping eliminate associated skin issues.
- Allows for smaller clothing – even after you lose a significant amount of weight, excess loose skin can make it harder for you to wear the smaller clothing that you looked forward to. Body lifts smoothen your overall contour, helping increase your wardrobe options. Many patients who receive an upper or lower body lift find that smaller clothing can fit more comfortably and more attractively.
- Customized to your needs – one of the best things about body lift procedures is that they are customized to each person’s needs. The surgical plan needs to be built from the ground up depending on the patient’s problem areas, the amount of skin that needs to be removed, and the desired outcome. All the procedures that are needed for the body lift are performed at the same time, decreasing the cost of the surgery, as well as combining the recovery time. Working with a seasoned body lift surgeon, many patients enjoy a dramatic transformation that is in line with their aesthetic goals.
Body lifts are delicate procedures that require extensive training, experience, and expertise in order to perform properly. For patients, the key to a successful procedure is to find the right surgeon. Dr. Oren Tessler and Dr. Sergey Turin brings keen professionalism as well as a commitment to results and safety to the job. Whatever your goals, the surgeon’s focus will be fixed on delivering an excellent outcome.
Types of Body Lift Surgery
Body contouring surgery is typically classified into two main types of procedure:
- Lower body lift – also referred to as a belt lipectomy, this procedure addresses the abdomen, waist, hips, and buttocks. Our surgeons will create a circumferential cut around the patient’s body to remove excess skin while also tightening the underlying tissues. Liposuction may also be used to extract excess fat and enhance the outcome of the procedure. A lower lift typically involves 3 distinct procedures: a tummy tuck, buttock lift, and thigh lift (thighplasty).
- Upper body lift – excess sagging skin in the arms or chest (following significant weight loss) is addressed through an upper lift procedure. This treatment removes loose skin that collects under the arms and near the armpits. Our surgeons will create a horizontal cut underside the arm and use it to tighten the skin in order to deliver an aesthetic contoured look. Many women also elect to have a mastopexy (breast lift) to correct sagging that results from weight fluctuations, pregnancy, or the natural process of aging. Male clients can choose to have male breast reduction surgery if they have excess tissue in their chest that leads to a feminine appearance. Depending on your precise needs, our surgeons may also perform an upper back lift to get rid of skin folds that appear in the upper back as a result of considerable weight loss.
Dr. Oren Tessler and Dr. Sergey Turin are seasoned professionals who are in a unique position to recommend the best surgical technique for your body lift. Our surgeons brings a highly personalized approach to the operating table and will go out of his way in order to make each patient comfortable. They will help you understand what surgical methods will be used, and what kind of outcome you can expect after this surgery.
Our surgeons perform body lift surgery in their in-office operating room or accredited medical facilities. The surgeon’s anesthesiologist will start by administering general anesthesia in order to ensure the patient’s safety and comfort throughout the procedure. Our surgeon will then create the most appropriate incision pattern to suit the goals of the surgery. For patients who are having a lower body lift, the surgeon creates a circumferential incision that he uses to get rid of hanging skin and tighten the underlying tissue. Liposuction may also be used to remove excess fat from the targeted areas. Once the surgery is complete, the surgeon will close the incisions using sutures, and apply compression garments in the treatment areas in order to help with healing. This surgery can take between 4-8 hours to complete depending on the extensiveness of the treatment. Patients are usually required to stay overnight before they are discharged from the surgical facility.
Body Lift Recovery
It is important to have a trusted friend, colleague, or family member handy so they can drive you home after you are discharged from the hospital. The special compression garment provided by the surgeon should be worn at all times because it helps minimize swelling, bruising, and bleeding. Our surgeons encourage patients to move around (lightly) as soon as they are able to in order to ensure proper blood flow. It is not uncommon for patients to experience pain and soreness after recovery. The surgeon will prescribe pain medication to increase your comfort level, as well as antibiotics to prevent an infection. Drains are often required and removed 1-2 weeks after the surgery. Most of Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin‘s patients require at least 2-4 weeks before they can get back to simple activities. It may take up to 6 months before you are allowed to engage in exercise and strenuous movements. While the recovery period after this advanced surgery can appear long, the results can be extraordinary. Make sure to attend all post-operative appointments and strictly adhere to the surgeon’s recovery instructions in order to ensure prompt and uninterrupted healing.
Expected Procedure Cost
The cost of body lift surgery varies greatly depending on the extensiveness of the treatment. On average, most of Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s body patients in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Glendale, Paradise Valley, and nearby Arizona areas can expect to pay between $15,000 and $30,000 for this treatment. Health insurers may cover all or part of the cost of your body lift as long as it is considered necessary for medical or hygiene reasons. During your initial consultation at Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s office, the surgeon’s team will provide all the financing information you need to start making arrangements for this treatment.
Dr. Tessler’s Credentials
Oren Tessler, MD, is a board-certified plastic surgeon serving the Phoenix area. Dr. Tessler is highly proficient in multiple plastic surgery techniques, including body contouring, breast procedures, and maxillofacial surgery. Dr. Tessler earned his MD – MBA at McGill University. His plastic and reconstructive surgical training was concluded at McGill University followed by his fellowship training at Harvard University, both of which are the best and top ranked medical programs throughout the U.S. and Canada. He was appointed as an assistant and associate professor of Plastic Surgery at Louisiana State University and Tulane University. Dr. Tessler has also served as Director of Plastic Surgery at University Medical Center, as well as contributed research and trained dozens of upcoming plastic surgeons. Dr. Tessler’s passion lies in restoring form and function and improving the quality of life of his patients, whether it be with a body lift or any other type of plastic or reconstructive surgery. He brings a friendly and personalized approach to plastic surgery while working with highly qualified anesthesiologists and other medical professionals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Body Lift FAQ
Body Lift vs Mommy Makeover
What is the ideal time for a Body Lift?
Our surgeons recommend that you have a body lift when you have reached a weight loss plateau. This procedure may not be ideal for women who are planning to carry future pregnancies. If you are planning to add or lose weight in the future, keep in mind that this can have a negative impact on the outcome of your body lift.
Will I have scarring?
Just like with any other surgical procedure, scarring is inevitable after a body lift or any body contouring surgery. However, Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin keep scars minimal and makes sure they are hidden in areas where they will be covered by clothing if possible. The surgeon also utilizes advanced surgical methods in order to deliver an outstanding outcome while reducing the risk of scarring and other complications after this procedure. If you are deeply concerned about scarring, talk to Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin about it so they can explain their mitigation approach to you.
Alternatives to body lift?
Not all patients are suited for a comprehensive body contouring procedure. Some patients have only a single problem area that remains with excess skin after significant weight loss. Where this is the case, Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin will perform the most beneficial procedure (e.g. tummy tuck to address a sagging belly, or liposuction) in order to achieve the desired outcome. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin will listen to your body goals and present you with a wide range of options. The surgeon will also take you through each treatment method and help you select the most beneficial course of treatment for your needs.