While motherhood is one of life’s most rewarding experiences, it also leads to undesirable physical changes such as skin stretch marks, loss of breast volume and shape, the separation of your abdominal muscles, and the accumulation of fat deposits around the belly. These changes usually have a negative impact on a new mother’s sense of self-esteem and happiness. Luckily, plastic surgeons can help restore the youthful physique that you enjoyed before the pregnancy. A mommy makeover is a combination of cosmetic surgery procedures that aim to address a new mother’s aesthetic concerns and deliver a youthful and proportional look. This treatment is specifically tailored to each patient’s needs, and most women who undergo it enjoy increased levels of self-esteem and self-confidence.
Phoenix plastic surgeons Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin perform mommy makeovers to help women revamp their image after undergoing a pregnancy. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin have helped numerous women from Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, and surrounding AZ cities restore their pre-pregnancy contour with this procedure. The surgeon understands that the needs of different women are unique and works to create a highly customized treatment plan to suit the needs of each mommy makeover patient.
Who is a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover in Phoenix, AZ?
A mommy makeover is a combination of different body contouring procedures that are performed together in order to improve undesirable physical changes that linger after a pregnancy. You may be a good candidate for this cosmetic treatment if:
- You are in excellent physical and emotional health
- You are at your ideal body weight
- You are concerned about sagging breasts, a loose tummy, or other undesirable changes that stay on after a pregnancy
- You have completed childbearing
- You comprehend and understand the risks and rewards of this treatment
Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin will reserve your first visit at his Phoenix office to understand your needs and goals. The surgeon will listen to your concerns, ask questions, and learn about your medical history before letting you know whether this treatment is best for you. Since a mommy makeover is a highly individualized procedure, Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin emphasize that each patient ensures they are having this surgery out of their own volition, not because someone else asked them to.
Benefits of a Mommy Makeover
In addition to rebuilding a new mother’s sense of self-worth, a mommy makeover has many other benefits:
- Simultaneous procedures – Often in a mommy makeover, plastic surgeons perform many different treatments at the same time. You may undergo a tummy tuck, breast lift, and liposuction all at the same time. This means there will be less hassles regarded to scheduling and billing, plus the reduced cost of the procedure. The combination of procedures means you will only need to undergo anesthesia once to achieve multiple goals. More so, there is less overall downtime as the patient can combine the recuperation time for all the different treatments.
- Dramatic improvements – Because a mommy makeover involves many different procedures performed at the same time, patients experience a dramatic improvement in their body contour. You can knock out a flatter abdomen with a tummy tuck, perkier, more attractive breast appearance with a breast lift and/or augmentation, and improved contouring in any part of the body with liposuction.
- Removal of stretch marks – It goes without saying that pregnancy leads to stretch marks. This is due to the stretching of your skin that occurs as the baby is growing. If these become an embarrassment especially when you are at the beach or outdoors, Dr. Tessler can address this concern during the mommy makeover.
- More choice of clothing – Following a pregnancy and childbearing, many women realize that finding the right clothing becomes more difficult. But once you undergo a mommy makeover, you suddenly can wear nearly anything you want to – from jeans that are tighter in the thighs and tops that suit your liking. This leads to improved confidence particularly when out in social situations.
- Potential Core Strength Improvement – Because the muscles are repositioned to their optimal operating position, patients may potentially achieve a functional improvement of their core strength.
- Bloating Decrease – Most surgery patients have a tummy tuck included in their list of procedures to be included in their mommy makeover. From a tummy tuck, patients may benefit from reduced bloating from the restoration of their abdominal muscle cylinder that counteracts intra-abdominal pressure.
Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin bring a keen sense of professionalism to the operating table, finding a treatment regimen that will deliver the best possible outcome for each patient. The surgeon is also committed to patient experience and safety. Since your first consultation visit all the way to the final postoperative visit, Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin will provide all the support you need for an excellent experience and outcome.
What procedures are included in a Mommy Makeover
Depending on each patient’s problem areas, a mommy makeover can integrate any combination of the following procedures:
- Breast procedures – Many women choose to have a breast augmentation, breast lift, or breast reduction in order to address post-pregnancy changes. Breast augmentation is a plastic surgery procedure that increases the size and volume of breasts either using artificial implants or fat grafts. A breast lift – also referred to as mastopexy – addresses sagging and drooping breasts in order to achieve a perkier, more youthful appearance. Some women have macromastia (enlargement in the breast size) following pregnancy and breastfeeding. These women can benefit from breast reduction surgery, which addresses cosmetic and physical symptoms associated with overly large and heavy breasts.
- Tummy tuck – Abdominoplasty is often included in mommy makeover treatment regimen. Dr. Tessler removes excess fat from the abdominal area, as well as gets rid of excess skin and tightens the underlying musculature. This procedure helps create a firmer and flatter belly contour while also addressing stretch marks in this area.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery procedure that aims to remove stubborn fat that doesn’t seem to respond to exercise and diet. This procedure can target nearly any part of the body and is usually combined with a tummy tuck or lower body lift in order to create a sleek and better-sculpted contour.
- Lower body lift – This procedure aims to address sagging skin on the lower torso that tends to lead to a shapeless figure. Dr. Tessler will work to remove excess loose skin from the back, abdomen, hips, thighs, and buttocks. This mommy makeover procedure restores a slimmer and more attractive lower body physique.
- Facial procedures – Facial concerns such as wrinkles and lines can be easily addressed with injectables or fillers such as BOTOX, Juvederm, or Restylane. These are non-invasive treatments that can be completed within less than an hour, and often do not involve any downtime. Dr. Tessler typically recommends performing facial cosmetic treatments as a touch-up after the patient has recovered from the more extensive mommy makeover surgery.
- Labiaplasty – During childbirth some women may experience a labia tear leading to cosmetic differences and size of their labia. Labiaplasty is the surgical procedure to reduce elongated, enlarged, misshaped, and unequal labia sizes.
Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin understand that new mothers are faced with a unique set of cosmetic concerns. While some women only need a breast lift and tummy tuck to restore a youthful contour, others will require a more expansive combination of procedures and techniques. Upon examining you, the surgeon will help select the best treatments to include in your mommy makeover. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s goal is to deliver the most stunning aesthetic results in order to improve your self-confidence.
Mommy makeover is typically performed under general anesthesia, depending on the types of procedures involved. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin will customize each surgery to suit the precise needs of the patient. Regardless of the different types of procedures that are required, the surgeon uses advanced surgical techniques in order to achieve the best possible outcome. The surgeon will make sure that incisions are minimal and concealed within the skin’s natural folds so as to reduce the risk of scarring. While the surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis, depending on how extensive the procedure is, you may be required to stay at the medical facility overnight so that the surgeon’s team can monitor your progress. Even after you are discharged from the hospital, Dr. Tessler, Dr. Turin and staff will provide the support you need to ensure proper recovery and an excellent procedure outcome.
Recovery after your Mommy Makeover AZ
Recovery after makeover mommy surgery varies significantly from one patient to the other, depending on the number of procedures involved, extensiveness of the surgery, and one’s unique healing ability. During your recovery at home, you will be encouraged to take light walks as soon as you can after surgery in order to promote proper blood flow. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin attempt to avoid using drains whenever possible to increase your freedom of movement. All incisions are dressed with medical grade glue that allows you to shower under running water the morning after surgery. Keep in mind though that swimming, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, and engaging in strenuous physical activities is prohibited until you get the green light from the surgeon. You will also be required to wear special compression garments and surgical bras for at least one month after surgery. Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin use specially designed ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) protocols that have been clinically demonstrated to reduce post-operative pain. Nevertheless, you will be provided with pain medication as needed to improve your comfort level during the first postoperative week. Antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infections during recovery. Most patients can expect to experience bruising in the treatment areas for 1-3 weeks, and swelling for 2-8 weeks. Women who receive breast surgery as part of their mommy makeover can expect to experience breast sensitivity for 2-3 weeks. Stitches are usually internal and dissolve on their own. The majority of Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s patients are able to resume light work within 2 weeks. The use of scar creams, silicone sheets, and other scar care products typically begins after 4 weeks. It is important that you attend all post-operative appointments and strictly adhere to Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s recovery instructions in order to ensure a speedy recovery after your mommy makeover AZ treatment.
Expected Cost of Mommy Makeover in Arizona
Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin performs mommy makeover procedures at accredited healthcare facilities, supported by a full-time anesthesiologist and highly professional nursing staff. The cost of mommy makeover surgery varies greatly depending on the extensiveness of the treatment, facility and medication fees, and the surgeon’s fees, among other factors. On average, most of Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s mommy makeover patients in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, and nearby AZ areas can expect to pay between $8,000 and $16,000 for this treatment. Insurance companies typically do not pay for mommy makeovers unless there is a health-related reason for undergoing this treatment. During your initial consultation at Dr. Tessler and Dr. Turin’s office, the surgeon’s team will provide an initial cost estimate so you can make arrangements for financing.
Dr. Tessler’s Credentials
Oren Tessler, MD, is a board-certified plastic surgeon serving the Phoenix area. Dr. Tessler is highly proficient in multiple plastic surgery techniques, including breast procedures, body contouring, and maxillofacial surgery. Dr. Tessler earned his MD – MBA at McGill University. His plastic and reconstructive surgical training was concluded at McGill University followed by his fellowship training at Harvard University, both of which are the best and top ranked medical programs throughout the U.S. and Canada. He was appointed as an assistant and associate professor of Plastic Surgery at Louisiana State University and Tulane University. Dr. Tessler has also served as Director of Plastic Surgery at University Medical Center, as well as contributed research and trained dozens of some of the best mommy makeover plastic surgeons. Dr. Tessler’s passion lies in restoring form and function – and improving the quality of life of his patients. He brings a friendly and personalized approach to plastic surgery while working with highly qualified anesthesiologists and other support staff who strive to deliver the best mommy makeover Phoenix, AZ has to offer.