Plastic surgery is an excellent way to address aesthetic concerns in different parts of the body. Many people improve their quality of life and become more confident following this type of procedure. School going kids no longer have to be bullied because of the appearance of their nose. The list of applications and benefits goes on and on. However, it is important that people who are considering to have plastic surgery conduct thorough research and assess what alternatives are available.
- Fat Grafting – fat grafting is one of the best alternatives to conventional plastic surgery. Plastic surgeons typically remove excess fat from one part of the patient’s body and use it to contour another part. Once fat has been extracted from the donation site, it is processed and purified before it is injected into the recipient site through tiny incisions. A good example of fat grafting procedure is natural breast augmentation. In this type of treatment, plastic surgeons will use fat removed from the patient’s own body to achieve the desired increase in breast size and volume (as opposed to using artificial implants). Brazilian butt lift is another example of a fat grafting procedure. This technique focuses on using excess fat from the patient’s body to augment and contour the buttocks. If a fat grafting option is available for the plastic surgery that you intend to have, then you may benefit from a less invasive treatment and (usually) faster recovery.
- BOTOX – BOTOX is one of the most common non-invasive cosmetic treatments, and a top alternative to cosmetic surgery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), there were over 4.4 million BOTOX treatments completed in the US in 2020. That was more than any other cosmetic treatment. BOTOX has been approved by the FDA for over 15 years. It is typically used to address facial imperfections such as wrinkles, furrow lines, and crow’s feet. BOTOX injections work by freezing certain muscles in the face so as to relax the appearance of fold lines and wrinkles. Keep in mind though that a single BOTOX treatment lasts for only 6 months, after which follow-up sessions are needed to maintain the results.
- Dermal Fillers – soft tissue fillers such as Juvéderm and Restylane are very common particularly with patients who are looking for non-surgical alternatives to cosmetic surgery. Dermal fillers are basically gel-based compounds that help fill out deep creases and depressions in facial areas. These treatments can also help to plump up the cheeks and lips. Plastic surgeons will typically use a numbing agent at the treatment area before injecting the dermal filler. A single dermal filler treatment can last for up to 12 months, and follow-up sessions are needed to maintain the results. Data from the ASPS shows that there were more than 3.4 million soft tissue fillers completed in 2020.
- Laser – laser-based treatments make another decent alternative to invasive plastic surgery. Hi-tech laser emitting devices are applied to get rid of skin pigmentation, wrinkles, fine lines, and unwanted hair. This is a minimally invasive treatment that entails about two weeks of recovery. Patients who have had a laser resurfacing are required to stay out of the sun throughout the recovery duration. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), a total of 997,245 laser resurfacing procedures were completed in 2020, along with a whopping 757,808 laser hair removal and 199,945 laser tattoo removal treatments.
- CoolSculpting – many American suffer from stubborn weight and cellulite problems, among others. While exercise and diet can sometimes help improve general wellbeing, these do not always work. Patients who need to remove excess fat from different parts of the body without turning to invasive techniques such as liposuction turn to CoolSculpting. This non-invasive treatment employs a specialized machine that applies specialized cooling technology to the targeted treatment area. Fat cells are frozen and crystallized before they are slowly removed by the body. Coolsculpting is a highly effective treatment that can remove up to 25% of excess fat within the targeted treatment areas.